These were originally named Hanover Buildings when they were built in 1875, the name was changed before WW2 to Devon Mansions because of the German city of Hanover.
They were built to house the working people of Bermondsey. They were very modern at the time with indoor toilets. Southwark Council took them over in 1965.
They were in a disrepair and much modernisation was started. In 1985 Margaret Thatcher introduced the “right to buy” and many tenants took advantage of this and as they sold their leases onto to new people in the borough, the community changed a great deal.